PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA/CAA/CASA/ICAO conversion to FAA
View Single Post
Old 25th Nov 2011, 11:36
MarkerInbound

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. Short answer "no." The FAA single engine land rating is good for any single engine land airplane up to 12,500 pounds except for a few warbirds that require a type rating or letter.

2. About 1300 hours. Since you don't have 1500 hours total time the ATP is out of the picture for you.

3. There is a "knowledge" (written) test and an oral and flight test. SoCal has posted a link above to part 61 of the FARs. Look through that for the breakdown of time and training required for the the COMM. The only flight test requirement is that part of the check ride must be done in a "complex" airplane but you could do part of the check ride in a J-3 and part in a CE-182RG. No TBM required.

4. I believe so, look back through this thread. You will also need clearance for training from our TSA.

6. Yes, a second class.

7. Again, there are all sorts of threads here about flight schools training foreign students. What's best for one person may not work for another. You're going to have to do some research.

8. I have no idea what it takes to keep a JAA license current, I'd think they'd teach you that as part of the JAA training (sorry, I've been up all night.) As to the FAA cert, you will have to have logged 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days, you will have to have completed a flight review in the last 24 months (or something that stands in for it) and you will have to have logged various instrument flights and approaches in the last 6 months or have an IPC.

All of this is in FAR 61, you may as well start reading it. Probably 20% of the written and a good chunk of the oral will be out of Part 61.