PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 27th Oct 2011, 14:42
canadansk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In a union driven airline with seniority preference bidding, I can see how the most senior Captains don't want to retire - they fly the best planes on the best routes with the best holidays at the highest payscale.

In my airline it is not like this, the roster you retire with is as hard or harder than the one you joined with - this makes a big difference when it comes to fatigue as we get older. I cannot see how I could keep up this pace and want to retire later than I finacially have to. At the pace many foreign airlines fly fatigue with age is a major factor.

I am a senior Captain on big equipment and personally feel that the guys that flew for 40 years knowing that they are to retire at 60 should do just that. The new guys with a contract that shows 65, that is there goal. As the goal post moves the new joiners can have their respective retirement age (if they can make it til then).

I think that the reason retirement age is being changed to later is because the companies and Governments cannot afford to pay pensions. I you work longer it delays them paying and you will die sooner; thus minimising the amount of money that needs to be paid.

It is a sensitive subject. but I feel that old guys at the top have had it good for so long and maybe it is time to give something back.

Just my opinion.