PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COULD you land a passenger jet (if you ONLY hold a PPL)???
Old 18th Oct 2011, 22:23
Bearcat F8F

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can I just make sure we are all clear here:

So IF a PPL holder can land a full motion sim (744 for example), he/she will NOT be able to perform the same in real life? And yet the whole idea behind those sims is to teach people how to fly that aircraft without flying it for real... that's the bit that I don't get.

I am not referring to my SSJ-100-95 sim experience here (as I have no way of telling how accuare the flight dynamics/ systems were on that sim). However I do have a friend who flew a full motion 747 and A320 sim in the US a few years back when he only held a PPL. He said he landed short on the 747 once (because of how high the cockpit is) but said he got it spot on the 2nd time. I know he is not a liar and do believe he pulled it off. I assume the aircraft was in a "stabilized approach" when he took control. So going by what has been said here today, if he was presented with a situation like that in real life, he would fail (i.e. manually landing the plane)?