PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 2nd Oct 2011, 14:24
boxerpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SQ vs CX

Good evening, I have been following the threads with interest. Pls if anyone is much the wiser, shed some advice on what you would do in my circumstance. I am a military pilot with the Singapore airforce with 2900 Hours on mostly twin jet time as well as have an FAA ATPL. I Have been offered a place with Singapire Airlines on a transition scheme. For starters, I would also like to highlight that SQ requires all cadets to go through C-172,Baron followed by the Mustang in Perth and Maroochydore. Thereafter, there is a current 1 year backlog to get on a B777 simulator to start SO training. Local terms do not provide housing and an FO's salary is approximately 60K HKG dollars. However, it takes us military guys, based on sectors and merit approximately 7yrs to make Captain where pay scales can go up to 100-120K HKG dollars average. Cost of living is similar to HK if not more.
That's why I have been intrigued by what CX has to offer and I have been advised that I would be on the 12 week course in Adelaide based on my license and past experience. With a forgiveable loan, less taxes as well as a SO's salary of 45k per month, it does appear attractive as I am looking for a 20 year career as opposed to jumping ship every 5-10 yrs. I see the risk to be greatest in the time to make command in CX. With 360 SOs, I do not expect to jump the queue and that means 12 yrs to make command whereas SQ is 7 years. Any opinions? thank u.