PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 28th Sep 2011, 14:37
Lyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gileraguy

gday. You have a 'belief' the photo predates the accident? That is interesting, and I can't respond, I never question a man's Faith. If the photo is from Tim O'Brien, it is Gold Standard. I know him, he is a fixture in the local aviation community, and his work is legend.

Somebody missed that blemish in the walkaround? I seriously doubt that. The a/c was cleared to the line looking like that? Have you reviewed my sketchy post on the mechanicals if it is real? Thoughts?

I think the video that shows the Ghost's hesitant over roll gives up what happened to cause the Pitch UP. It shows a mechanical issue (W/T is not eliminated), that the pilot reacted to: the ('extra') Roll left was not an indicated input for his flight path, so it was uncommanded. The response of the a/c in rolling back to the right shows a 'correction'. What remained of the a/c's flight path seemed gentle, and controlled.

The Pitch Up was almost certainly Pilot induced. It didn't resemble a casual exit of the circuit, it was in response to a Nose drop. An over-control, most definitely. CG is not set for stable, cruise flight, and the response in Pitch is touchy. Adrenaline and emergency are not conducive to ice water in the veins.

Pilot's vasculature is an issue, he seemed healthy and fit. However, there is a reason the rules start to discriminate against the aged in aviation. The wrinkling of the belly skin shows an inordinate amount of undesigned for stress, do you agree?

Regardless the cause, or its timing.

Question for you. Can an a/c like the Ghost Stall with a Pitch up of 60 degrees? In a 90 degree Roll?

Last edited by Lyman; 28th Sep 2011 at 14:48.