PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2011, 09:42
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hamid_27
Isn't the Company forgiveable loan HK$ 1.2 Million, of which training cost (depending on which course you are doing) is taken from, and what is left over is given to you as a joining bonus, which is then taxable?
If you had to pay back the portion of the loan to pay for your flying training then this would be the case. As the whole loan is forgiven after six years of service then it will be 100% taxable. You have received a benefit in the form of a licence which you haven’t had to pay for directly until the loan given to you by CX is forgiven and that loan then becomes income. Income doesn’t have to be in the form of cash only.

As for the size of the loan I can’t tell you that but considering the Aussie dollar is so high against the HK dollar, I wouldn’t be surprised.
I'm flying off to HK for stage 2 later today and I will ask them
Personally I don’t think the interviews would know the answer to the question as they aren’t qualified to tell you. I will say though that it has been brought to our union’s attention that interviews may have been telling applicants that they would upgrade in no more than 18 months. Currently there is about 360 current SO’s waiting for an upgrade. It is impossible to upgrade so many SO’s in 18 months. When the DFO was asked about this by our union he said that all upgrades would be in seniority order and new hire SO’s wouldn’t be jumping the cue. As current upgrades are taking 4 years, it would appear interviewers may have been telling applicants what they wanted to hear in an attempt to dress up the job.