PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2011, 19:20
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We're expressing opinions here. That's all.

Who knows if I'm right or wrong? I'm not a medical expert but I've crossed several decades and can compare how I am today with how I was at 35.
I agree, the changes come slowly and subtly. But those changes, whatever they may be should be dealt with as they rear their ugly heads.
Just as the 30 something who has a mild heart attack or the 46 year old jogger who died of a massive heart attack.

"It is the slow way your body lets go over time, that is the issue."
Not entirely. It's the mental capacity that may slide over time and that occurs at differing points in our lives. Mine different to yours and not automatically at age 60. If this industry and industry pilot unions were really interested in mental capacities it would have a means or method of checking it. I consider my six month check rides to be the arena for discovery. Revealing my onset of incapacity, incompetence or dementia, etc. If it isn't then it should be.

If we were flying in one man high speed combat cockpits, I'd already be sipping my whisky and watching footy as the aeroplanes climb away on departure. I've never flown those aircraft, only lumbering airliners and fairly docile turbo props.

Most of us don't fly fast jets. We mostly fly two man aeroplanes with lots of safety measures built in which include reliable SOPs and appropriate levels of automation. You might have encountered subtle incapacitation drills in your training over the years. Insight, maybe?

At my present age, in my present state of proficiency and mental capacity, I believe myself along with thousands of others over the age of 60 at a time when pilot shortages are starting to bite like they've never bitten before, would make a competent F/O or Relief Captain for at least the next five years. After that, I really would like to sit on my boat, sip whisky and watch the world go by.

I may convince no one in the end, it's only my opinion and from one day to the next I am no less able based on such an arbitrary number.
It's age-based discrimination. Nothing more and nothing less.

Last edited by Willie Everlearn; 17th Sep 2011 at 19:35.