PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2011, 18:08
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Stabilators and flaperons and rudder

Salute!

Bear is right about the Viper stabilators - they moved independently and were used for both pitch and roll. Funny, and most folks don't realize this, but the flaperons and stabilators were interchangeable WRT left-right. made maintenance easy and reduced procurement costs, ya think?

The flaperons were the ailerons that also moved independently but could be cranked down as "flaps". In that case, a roll command would raise one while the other remained down. Of course, the tail surfaces helped and we had a good aileron-rudder-interconnect until WOW.

In our deep stall, both stabilators were full leading edge up as they tried to reduce our AoA. Unfortunately, as as you can see from that graph I posted, our pitch moment at 50 - 60 degrees AoA was zippo for nose down. Above 29 degrees AoA, our rudder was taken away from us - GASP!!! It countered any yaw we had, according to the designers, and guess what? It worked as advertised. That's why first deep stall was hard to recognize by the test pilot. As he recalled, smooth as silk except altimeter was unwinding at max display value!!! Other than that, and no pitch control, a Sunday drive.

While we wait, I would point out that an aspect of the 'bus control laws in one of the very deepest reversions seems to place more emphasis upon speed than upon AoA. This puzzles me. Maybe TK can explain.

From the time I first flew a Luscombe ( Earth was still cooling and I fought raptors during pre-flight), I was taught and learned that AoA is what causes a stall, not speed. I fully understand a design consideration for mach, as a high mach can reduce or even reverse aileron and spoiler inputs. But pure CAS seems a poor input for major attitude commands by "otto".Considering that previous 'bus incidents had erroneous airspeed as a major contributor to the ends results, why would Airbus not consider AoA the primary consideration in an "upset"? I wonder....

p.S. Maybe TK can find the pitch moment graph for the 'bus like the one I posted for the Viper. We ain't proud, heh heh, and our discovery led to better FBW control schemes down the road.