PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunderland 'Golden Horn' crashed Lisbon 1943
Old 19th May 2011, 12:54
Seebafilmer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash at Lisbon

I can't help about Capt. John Lock but if you see my earlier posts I explained that my uncle Alexander Barratt told me about the crash in Lisbon about 1982. I wish I had paid more attention. He explained that as it was an airtest he was not required so sat it out, (probably in a local bar). He told me that it was an embarassing situation because the local VIP's who were invited for a 'joy ride' were more than local dignitaries and that one was very senior in the Portugese hierarchy. Any report of his death in a British military aircraft at that time when Portugal was neutral would have grave consequences. He may have mentioned the person, I didn't pay attention! I felt it was someone like a prime minister or another of that position?

I can see now that some of the photos he gave me are of the Flying boat on fire at what seems to be Malta. I assumed it was to do with the crash at Lisbon and didn't ask about them specifically. He spoke very fast and I missed lots of info.

My uncle gave me some notes about his flying details:

Imperial Airways and later Transport Command
1937 - 1947 Air Communications worldwide
1941 - 1947 RAF Transport Command worldwide.

Logged 3000 air hours and 1 million air miles,

Flew in,
Comets -(Frobishers) De havilland
Sunderlands
Catalinas
DC3's
Yorks
Boeing 314's

I posted some photos of him before. He could tell the most amazing stories and seemed to have been everywhere!