PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2011, 02:47
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AlphaZuluRomeo (Regarding where to look for the memory unit)
Indeed I haven't seen the "wreckage distribution and how it had been influenced by a slow moving current from E to W" theories as a fact.
I was under the impression those they looked a little too much like a "guesswork", based on a single sonar picture without proved link between significant parts and the said sonar image, to pay attention to them
Were you perhaps waiting for Professor Einstein to visit the crash site and formulate a formal theory? For many reasons, that won't happen.
Thinking men look at data and form theories regarding the underlying factors at work. Others look at the theory and point out weak concepts, and the theory is adjusted to improve its fit to the observed data. Just because a theory has not been examined by a formal board of scientists does not mean it is without value. A plan based on underlying theories is actionable. Worst case, you will gain better data to adjust the theory further. Without a plan, you are just a lost kid waiting for your mother to lead you back home.
Without better information regarding the factors distributing the wreckage, I would look East of the FDR chassis for the memory module, against the apparent current that distributed the wreckage. With an accurate wreckage map and hydrodynamic drag data for the FDR chassis and memory unit from the manufacturer, it would not be guesswork to locate the memory module. Not even a SWAG.
Both of these units started their trip to the bottom from the same initial location near the surface. Unless one became entrapped by another part, they will fall as gravity and ocean currents direct them.