PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 25th Apr 2011, 22:44
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadoko
And one question: I think I have understood (imho!) that in "normal" flight with AP engaged, moving the thrust levers or the stick (right words?) do get the autopilot off.
Nope - sufficient pressure on the sidestick *will* disconnect the AP/FMC, in much the same manner as it does on airliners equipped with yokes. However, thrust lever position is used to control the mode that A/THR is engaged in, so disconnecting A/THR by moving the levers would be counter-intuitive. A/THR disconnect is achieved by pressing the red buttons on the side of the thrust lever handle. Holding those buttons for 15 seconds disconnects A/THR completely and disables it permanently until ground system restart.

Is the AP going back automaticly if the a/c "think" the speed indications are right back?
Can't say for sure, but I very much doubt it. The myths about what AI's FBW implementation will and will not do tend to muddy the waters though. The computers will do exactly as the pilot asks of them and will not intervene unless the pilot is trying to do something dangerous (pull into a spiral dive, pull up without increasing thrust etc.).