PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading Rotax 912UL (80HP) to Rotax 914UL (115HP), experience anyone?
Old 11th Apr 2011, 18:43
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
Between the 912ULS and 914UL the performance figures are remarkable similar with one main exception: the "take off" curve from the 914 is higher in every respect: power, torque and fuel consumption. Obviously that's the time when the turbo is most active.

But other than that the fuel consumption for a given HP seems almost identical between the two. The graphs in the brochure aren't all that good but it looks like the 914UL is even using slightly less fuel (<5% difference) to produce a given power than the 912ULS.

I was looking at the Rotax site and it seems that you can get the original datasheets directly from them. Doesn't that help?
Thanks for that link…………I don´t seem to be able to get the info I need though. I kind of hope you´re right………….
But others say that on average (normal use--> warm up, take off, cruise and landing), the consumption would be 33% higher than the 912ULS.

Originally Posted by MichaelJP59
Seems to be the general consensus is if you are buying new then the 912S is fine for most uses and no point paying extra for the turbo. However the original question was what can be done to uprate the 80hp 912 - can it just be upgraded to 912S spec?
The way I understand it, no. The 912 UL (80 HP)and the 914 UL (115HP) are the basically the same engines………same block, same pistons, same everything.
The Turbo is the only difference, plus the exhausts and carburetors--> but internally……….same same.

The Rotax 912ULS however………the 100 HP Non-Turbo, is different though.
Different pistons, different block etc, compared to the 912 UL & 914UL, but others may be able to explain better.

Saludos,

###Ultra Long Hauler###