PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Upgrading Rotax 912UL (80HP) to Rotax 914UL (115HP), experience anyone?
Old 8th Apr 2011, 14:29
Ultra long hauler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
You might want to try the LAA. There's a lot of folks there with Rotax experience.

Also, I seem to recall that Skydrive is the UK dealer with a lot of experience in maintaining Rotax engines.
Thanks!

Good link, I didn´t know that forum at all.

Originally Posted by Jan Olieslagers
I can't help wondering what kind of money you can still hope to get from your current 912 with a thousand hours on it. Isn't its full life span limited to 1500 hours?
Sorry to push back on your nice plans...
No worries………it is a pain though, having to sell this aircraft first.

Originally Posted by Rod1
“Recent Rotaxes 912s have a TBO (time between overhaul) of 1500 hours”

Nope, it is 2000 hours (TBO) with many passing 3000 on condition.
Rod1
That is correct, even the new 914UL get a TBO of 2000 from Rotax these days.

Originally Posted by MichaelJP59
Not had a conversion, but I have a 914 turbo in my Europa and am really happy with it, nice to have that extra boost for a short take off run. Though of course it does end up heavier than the 912S 100hp.

This conversion kit seems like a reasonable idea, but they do recommend having a full condition inspection before adding the turbo, and the $8500 is just for the kit, installation/inspection is another $2500 + parts. I guess also the warranty would also just apply to the kit parts.

If you can't sell the 912 I guess it would seem reasonable?
I guess, thinking about it………my Rotax engineer is my friend and he worked my engine from almost zero hours so if I would travel to the States to pick it up, I´d have the whole kit installed locally for a bit more than $10.000,-.
My heart still tells me to stick to the original plan though………..which was sell the plane, and buy a nice, "0 kilometers" conventionally breathing 912ULS.
Granted, my plan is to fly high up in the Andes but talking to owners of both 912ULS and 914UL…………the advantage is on the 912ULS`s side, I´m afraid.

The 914UL consumes 40% more fuel (!!!) and the power difference at sea level is negligible. In the mountains the 914UL wins, but I have seen several club members that make it up to 6000 meters with the 100 HP Rotax 912ULS………..so why wouldn´t I? Obviously, these trips would have to be planned on good weather days…….but the same goes for a 914UL, and as I said; my non-turbo´d friends take off from airstrips at 3.000 meters with their 912ULS.

The extra consumption every day, every flight; the extra maintenance $$…… I don´t know--> I´m torn.

I´m enjoying this thread though………..any more opinions out there?

###Ultra Long Hauler###