PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New Falklands War Brewing
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2011, 13:43
Captivep

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I was in Buenos Aires recently and walked past the memorial to their dead in the Falklands. At the time it was being guarded by two soldiers in rather ruritanian uniforms. It started to drizzle and a guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt, with a cigarette in his mouth, approached them, spoke for a few seconds, and then turned away. To be honest, he looked like a drunk out to cause trouble.The soldiers followed him and it soon became clear what was happening. The scruff was clearly their guard commander taking them in out of the rain. When the drizzle stopped he, still with cigarette on the go, brushed some raindrops off their epaulettes and waved them back to their posts, while he sauntered off.I was completely taken aback! If that is indicative of their armed force's level of professionalism and commitment (to what is supposed to be a sacred memorial) then I think we should be quietly confident.I found no animosity to us Brits though (even when returing by sea to Buenos Aires direct from Stanley with a Falkland Islands stamp in my passport).Clearly, though, the Malvinas (sic) runs deep in the national psyche - I must admit I was amused to see the weather forecasts on the local news channels; every one of them religiously went through the outlook for the islands. I can't imagine they truly believe that any Falklander will be tuning in...Or maybe they do! One of the oddest things in the Falkland Islands Museum is a propaganda note delivered to islanders straight after the invasion which reads:"People of the Malvinas - You have been liberated from the illegal colonial government. The people and Armed Forces of Argentina embrace you as brothers. Join us in forging a great future for the islands. Join us in giving thanks to the blessed Virgin Mary for the success of Operation Rosary."