PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why is the RAF buying the F-35?
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2011, 09:14
ORAC
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...

Received 1,461 Likes on 660 Posts
Fundamentally, his question is sound, it just needs expanding - why are we buying JSF, instead of buying something that's not as cutting-edge, but is a lot more affordable?
Buying a new type is inevitably more expesnive due to the need for training, spares etc. Therefore, if the MOD is buying the F-35 to man the carriers, then it is inevitable that any manned component of the the GR4 force replacement will be an F-35.

Whilst it is possible that component could be either the F-35A or F-35B, as opposed to the carrier F-35C, it is unlikely due to the increasingly small commonality in parts between them. The F-35A would also need to be modified for a probe for refuelling. Having a common type would also allow for reinforcement of the carrier force.

I also suspect that the original talked of buy of around 150, if purchsed, will be used for both roles.

I would also suspect that all the above is the subject of intense debate and unlikely to be resolved till after the SDSR review, or with the programme slips till a decision is needed after the next election.

As to the website, I can appreciate the problems in updating the information. Without even a decision that a change to the original planned is required, what can be changed?