PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first aircraft - the ferrying of my old Aero Commander twin back to California.
Old 25th Mar 2011, 16:11
Peter Bichier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YV-ABE belly up

Adam,

From what I understand it was a hydraulic failure (most likely a complete line rupture). Jim Metzger posted several times warning Commander pilots on this issue (@matronics.com):

"As soon as the first engine is started, pull the breaker and do no push in until the next start. It is not in the POH but should be. We have been advocating this for years and I have had two members call me to thank me. They were able to manage a complete hyd failure..."

then the issue came up again (Jim M.):
" THIS SHOULD BE A REMINDER TO ALL THE FLAT NACELLED COMMANDER DRIVERS. NEVER LEAVE THE GROUND WITH THE AUX HYD PUMP CIRCUIT BREAKER IN, NEVER, EVER! Even with a ruptured line, there should easily be enough fluid to control the airplane until it stops. The breaker should not be pushed in until the mains are on the ground. There is about 2 pints of fluid in the reservoir below the stand pipe. Of course the offending line would render that brake useless, but the steering would work. It would still be an emergency for sure! ...

... Inspect all of them and dont kid yourself. If they have any corrosion, change them out... DOING THIS (pulling aux hyd) ASSURES THAT THERE WILL BE ENOUGH FLUID FOR BRAKES AND STEERING. PLEASE, LETS STOP BEING STUBBORN ABOUT THIS BEFORE ANOTHER AIRPLANE IS LOST!

Don't really know if my Dad new about this trick... unfortunately I was too young!

Take care,