PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mauritius wannabees
View Single Post
Old 20th Mar 2011, 10:09
FL999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dont get me wrong Im not against expats, in fact they have been an important piece of the MK puzzle for a long time now. Its just that the promised 'Mauritianisation' of the company is not happening. There is seemingly no long term plan for an eventual expansion of the company in sync with the development of Plaisance. Companies such as Cathay, Etihad, Jetstar, Easyjet and soon BA are gearing up to train their own pilots(both expat and local for some) in anticipation of a potential upturn in the industry. Some are going at it better than others but still, they are doing something. MK is sitting idly, hiring short term gap-filling crew and are not at all thinking about the long term. Whether their strategy is better than those other airlines or not, only time will tell but my opinion is that the enormous amount of money being spent in interviewing and training short term contract pilots could be better spent training their own pilots(again, possibly expat AND local) for the long term. That would also allow for a better planning strategy within the Ops department. If MK hasnt yet noticed, Air Austral is very quickly expanding its operations worldwide and will undoubtedly crush MK if action is not taken. UU are slowly offering more frequent and better services to many parts of the globe. They could soon take over top dog status from MK.

Dont tell me that money is not coming in. Try booking a ticket to europe India or Australia during any period of the year and see how many times you end up the waiting list.

Such potential.