PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first aircraft - the ferrying of my old Aero Commander twin back to California.
Old 28th Feb 2011, 20:59
Peter Bichier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
520, straight 560, and 680E

Adam,

Thanks for posting this story! I hope I get to see you two another time, and it sure looks like she is in good hands.

Did you noticed on the video how you can even see the sparks coming out of the exhaust?

Just a clarification, John Houlder's AC is a 680E, which is the same bird Jim Bob has. They have a longer fuselage (10.75 inches) than your bird, and the "E" stands for Extended wings (49 ft instead of 44), plus a whole lot more power: they have GSO-480s, Geared Supercharged (mechanical) developing 340 HP (think how your gas bill would have been with this bird).

Remember that the 720 Alticruiser was basically a 680E with a pressurized cabin and all the supercharged model have de-ice boots. Barry Colleman would be the one to ask which other "bath-tub" nacelles Commanders have them. All the flat nacelles ones have the option of de-ice boots or TKS system.

Since you took such great pictures of your bird, I will share my Dad's straight 1955 (and you will see why 527P is so dear to me as well...); same as the 520 but with GO-480B rated Max 270 Hp. with the swept tail, but same fuselage and wingspan.

I'm new to this site, and I can't attach photos, although Adam obviously managed... meanwhile here is a link to them:

https://picasaweb.google.com/YVABE560/YVTABE#

Enjoy!