PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My first aircraft - the ferrying of my old Aero Commander twin back to California.
Old 25th Feb 2011, 13:43
SNS3Guppy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, the 690's are rockets, I've heard. Especially with the dash 10 engines. I'd love to have a turbine one day. The earlier 690's had the dash 5 engines and I can't exactly remember what it was, but they have a pretty limited TBO for a turbine or something.
The -10's are good engines until something goes wrong, and then you may think you have a parachute on the wing instead of an engine. The -5's give good performance; the airplane responds quickly and flies very nicely on the -5's.

They're not "dash" engines, incidentally. Today they're Honeywell engines, though most still refer to them as Garretts The engine is a TPE-331, with various dash numbers denoting model variations. Thus, the -10 is actually a TPE-331-10, etc.

The TPE-331 is one of the most complex turboprop powerplants out there. Unlike the the Pratt PT6, it gives nearly instant power response, but it can also be a much bigger liability if something goes wrong (and there's more to go wrong).