PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fuel injection and carburator history
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2011, 17:29
411A

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question for 411A and others whose experience is way beyond most of us here, did you have the same issues with carburettor icing and similar which afflict light aircraft engines, and how were such issues overcome on reciprocating larger aircraft ?
In my personal experience with R2800 and R4360 engines, all with pressure carburetors (Bendix pressure carbs, if I recall correctly) carb icing did not appear to be a problem...as in, never experienced any in my ops.
The DC-6B, as one example, had three designs (directly from Douglas) to combat possible carb icing...alcohol, Calrad electric heaters, and exhaust heat.
Aircraft were delivered with alcohol tanks for the carburetors and used for awhile, Calrad electric heaters were fitted for a short while, but proved troublesome, so were discontinued, and exhaust muff heat proved to be the most reliable.

Fuel injected versions of the R-3350 were the -57, -57A, -59 and -59A. Injection was into each individual cylinder combustion chamber. Two injection pumps with each pump servicing one row of cylinders. Used on B-29, B-32, C-97, C-121. Don't have a list of civil applications to hand, though seeing it was used on the 121 and 97 you would imagine it may have been.
Didn't know that, although my experience is civil, not military.
In addition, the civvy C97 (the B377 Stratocruiser, which I flew) all had R4360 engines with pressure carburetors.