PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Citabria 7KCAB vs Cessna 152 Aerobat
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2011, 19:11
Pilot DAR

Received 60 Likes on 43 Posts
If you're used to a Pitts or Decathelon, you'll find a 152 Aerobat dissapointing for power and capabiity. I quite enjoy the Aerobat, but it's not really a "fully areobatic aircraft". They are, however, a bit more of a "known quantity" in terms of the expense of long term ownership. As you are aware, the Citabria will demand a bit more skill as a tail dragger, but excellent skill building. The Aerobat snap rolls nicely, which I have not done in the Citabria, but loops and rolls in the Citabria seemed to benefit from the additional power.

The Citabria will make a better ski or floatplane. The Citabria is more challenging to fully inspect for structure. The one I used to fly was known to "not spin left well" for years. We just spun it right, and did the rest of the aerobatics in it. Some time later, when it was damaged, and the fuselage fabric removed, there was broken structure back in the tail, which had gone undetected for years. Not so reassuring. The 152 is very easy to inspect, and has no surprises by type.

The side by side of the 152 is a bit more plesant when flying with a passenger (unless they're really big - then put them in the back!). STOL kit is not eligible on the Aerobat, as it takes the spin approval away.