PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Denes Closing
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2011, 22:04
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
North Denes closing completely? what a pity. Perhaps they will extend the caravan park?

I landed a glider there once, having flown from Nympsfield and ran out of land, too chicken to swing round the oil rig that was out at sea.

A famous glider pilot landed there once, flown from North Hill in Devon, he was based at Bicester. So rang Bicester for airtow - North Dene manager said the field is too short to do an airtow! but it was too late to stop the tug flying in from Bicester. Airfield manager said, right, I'm not responsible for what happens, I'm going home now.

So the glider was pushed back against the fence, the tug pushed back as well, ran up to full power on the brakes, and there was a mighty yank on the towrope; glider got airborne ok, but tug still on the ground, still on the ground, still on the ground...then hoiked up into the air to miss the earth bank at the end of the runway.

Folks in the caravan park were astonished when first the tug, then the glider appeared, ran briefly along their drive before at last achieving liftoff. And combination returned to Bicester.

No, it wasn't me. I had a road retrieve from North Dene.