PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 landing techniques - what is the difference?
Old 13th Feb 2011, 10:54
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As the owner of a 172 I tend to pretty much glide the last 100ft or so just using trickles of power to correct for any turbulence etc. So pretty much a blend between glide and power.

The 172 needs to be put down at the correct speed or it will just bounce back into the air or wheelbarrow and shimmy down the runway. Carrying power to touch down will inevitably find you to fast and thats when things go wrong.

By using a blend of glide and power you control the approach speed exactly and thus the touch down speed.

With an extra long runway, it is actually possible to touch down with considerable power. Pundits will perhaps jump on me, suggesting this is pointless, but on a really cold day, when you don't want to shock cool an engine, it's appropriate to carry some power all the way in.
I will respond to that. Maybe in the minus millions of Canada this could be a problem but the power requirements for a normal circuit have allowed the engine to cool down from cruise power and taking power off further for a glide approach is going to make little difference. Especially as the nature of a glide is no different from the taxi back to the ramp.

At the end of the day there are many ways to skin a cat. Look listen and learn and then use what is best for you. When you own your own aircraft you will use the technique that is not only safe and comfortable but also the kindest to your aircraft.