PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 172 landing techniques - what is the difference?
Old 13th Feb 2011, 08:54
Gertrude the Wombat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I learned to land my pulling the power when I am still pretty high on final, and gliding all the way down to the runway. I know that some instructors (I flew with one) teach that you keep power in all the way down to the runway, and then pull power just before the flare (basically).
Yes well, I use power as necessary to keep the approach path reasonable, and depending on all sorts of things (eg headwind and how competent I'm being that day) this might mean having the engine at idle at various points. One runway has a decided sink over the ponds in most weather conditions so what looks like a nice glide approach will almost always need some power as I cross the water.

Also if I follow the teaching "turn base, reduce power to 1500, remain level until below flap limiting speed, flaps 30, descend" I'm sometimes (again depending on wind etc) going to end up over the threshold at several hundred feet, so cutting the power to idle after the base leg turn to see how it goes today often works better for me particularly with a tailwind on base leg.

I've done these things with a variety of instructors sitting next to me on various lessons and check rides over the years and none has ever complained. Well, not about power handling on the approach, anyway.