PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 16:19
Big Pistons Forever

Received 133 Likes on 60 Posts
The weather was reported as fog with 375 meters vis and the cloud base was 100 ft. Since this was a Cat 1 approach there is no way you can have had the required visual references to land when at the DH. Personally on receipt of a Metar like the above I just head for the alternate, unless there is some weather phenomenon forecast to cause a significant improvement in the weather, which was not the case when this accident occurred. I could maybe see one approach with the hope that you get lucky and see a hole but to fly 3, that is lunacy.

I know we are supposed to not rush to judgement, let all the facts come out etc etc, but I think it is time to call a spade a bloody shovel. These guys obviously kept on going lower and lower on multiple approaches until they hit the ground.

The accident stats are clear. This is just another example, in a long line of tragic examples, of aircraft crashing after multiple approaches. The US statistics are that the third approach is up to 15 times more likely to result in an accident than the first.......