PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2011, 14:17
sevenstrokeroll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew metroliners in the middle 80's

I flew this type (and hold a type rating, USA in this type) in the middle 1980's.

We flew it at a regional airline in the USA. AT that time we were not required to have either a flight data recorder or a cockpit voice recorder. European rules may be different.

In the USA, even for regional airlines, YOU SIMPLY CANNOT BEGIN AN INSTRUMENT APPROACH BELOW MINIMUMS. IF the weather is reported below approach minimums, you may not even attempt the approach.

Our metroliners did not have autopilots whatsoever. Nothing. That's the way it was...now I'm not saying you couldn't put one in as (an option)...but the idea that this plane was Cat II is very, very unlikely.

Oddly enough, the short body version of the swerengin, crashed at the place I learned to fly...foggy night, no instrument approach. It seemed that during the go around it sucked a bird, or somehow lost an engine...and the plane rolled up side down, crashing and killing all aboard...

AS many of you know, if an engine fails during an instrument go around, you are suddely quite busy, and if you get too slow, upside down you go. (imagine full discussion of Vmca).

I would also like to point out something. Some operators of this type choose to make the approach with about half flaps, selecting full flaps upon visual with runway. Selecting full flaps can cause a slight roll..

I never cared for the metroliner. Noisy, cramped, POS of the highest order.

The rule of thumb here is one approach, two approach, go somewhere else...

Wondering if anti ice/ignition was selected for engines/props etc....I didn't look at the temps on the wx