PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Central Serous Retinopathy
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2011, 22:51
A. Muse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was diagnosed with CSR about 7 years ago at Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, I was told by the doctor that first saw me that the condition is most prevalent in Caucasian males in their 40's to 60's, particularly if they are under stress.

I was not given any treatment, but monitored for 2 years at intervals. I was told that any treatment could leave small blind spots on the retina and would only be undertaken if the condition got worse (which fortunately it didn't). Computer images were taken of both retinas and stored for comparison on each check up, fascinating to see a map of my retina on a 17 inch screen!

My job at the time required me to drive, and as my eyesight was within driving limits they felt no action was the best option. I enquired about continuing my hobby of scuba diving and was told that pressure variations would not be a problem, perhaps a bit of good news here for flyers?

I only found I had the condition when I was putting in a contact lens in my dominant eye and happened to look through the other eye at the cornice around the room and noticed a kink in the straight line like a hump in the road. I now check every so often by covering each eye in turn and looking at a sheet of graph paper.

As an aside (or snide if you like) sitting for 4 hours in the emergency queue at Moorfields convinced me that laser surgery for eyesight correction was not a good idea because of the number of people in the queue with extremely painful infections and other problems following elective surgery.