PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA to Part FCL
Thread: CAA to Part FCL
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2011, 08:50
Level 400

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Licence Upgrading

Re: Licence upgrade - SPHPCAs

I hold both a UK ATPL and a JAR-FCL CPL/IR. The latter I need to fly non UK registered jet aircraft on Commercial Transport Ops round Europe, which is my day job. I would love to change my UK ATPL to a JAR-FCL ATPL but apparently this is not possible under current rules.

I fly an Exec Jet with a MAUW of 12,500lbs. This is classed as a Single Pilot Aircraft, although it is illegal to operate Single Pilot for Public Transport purposes, I have always, apart from the odd C of A Airtest, when P2 is not Type Rated, operated the aircraft multi crew with Type rated Pilots in both seats. I have 1500 hours on type of which 1400 odd are P1. Apparently it is permissible to use the Multi Crew hours on this aircraft to count towards the 500 hours required for JAR ATPL Licence issue, but it is not possible to count the LPC (which is conducted by a CRE to give me both SPA and MPA privileges) as an ATPL skill test - that must be done by a TRE, which don't (yet) exist for this aircraft.

My question (we'll get there in a moment) is that under the forthcoming changes which have been heralded when new arrangements for SPHPCA (Single Pilot High Performance Complex Aircraft) kick in, and CREs will become TREs for the type, will that change this state of affairs?

Also, the new variant for this aircraft (RA390 shortly to become the Hawker 200) has an increased MAUW to 13700 lbs as it's got bigger engines. Will that automatically push the aircraft into the MPA category, although it's the same type?

Some advice from 'those in the know' would be appreciated.

Level 400