Thread: Wing-Loading
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 11:07
John Farley

Do a Hover - it avoids G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jane

Thanks for responding to my request.

I will not answer it directly now as subsequent posts by yourself and others have moved things on a lot further.

You clearly are familiar with a lot of aspects of aircraft design and performance but I feel have got some of the basic building blocks a bit jumbled up in your head.

I will PM you with some of the basics of lift and drag which I think might help you straighten out some of your concepts.

However all other things being equal if you literally double the wing loading of an aircraft (by filling an airliner with fuel or covering a military aircraft with bombs) then you really won’t change much beyond
  • The stall speed which will be 1.414 times what it was before (this will up your takeoff and landing speeds and distances)
  • The aircraft will have much more inertia (this will make the aircraft appear ‘sluggish’ in response to you trying to change its flight path – especially in pitch compared to the light case)
When it comes to the effects of wing loading on manoeuvre there are two aspects called the manoeuvre boundary and the thrust boundary.

The manoeuvre boundary is a measure of how much g you can momentarily pull at a particular speed (this will reduce as wing loading goes up)

The thrust boundary is a measure of how much g you can sustain without loss of airspeed and is primarily affected by the thrust available. It will suffer as you put up the wing loading but likely less than the manoeuvre boundary.

JF