PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Wing-Loading
Thread: Wing-Loading
View Single Post
Old 5th Jan 2011, 02:46
Jane-DoH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
galaxy flyer,

No, span loading is weight divided by span, related to aspect ratio which is what is what you are speaking of.
I'm sorry, I got that backwards...

thrust loading is T/W
Understood

The performance under G loads is related to specific excess power, that is, wing loading causes loss of IAS, specific excess power is how the plane can overcome the increase in induced drag. The Thud didn't have a lot of Ps at high loadings or low speed.
That's the energy-maneuverability formula right?

Were it not for these "horrendously" high wing loadings they could not do their jobs as jet transports. Try designing a jet transport with a wing loading of, say, 50 lb/ sq ft.
It would need to have very thin wings that were very large for it to even remotely work, though I can think of at least one proposed commercial aircraft design that had a wing-loading of 62.6 pounds/square-foot. It was called the L-2000; it was built by Lockheed as a competitor in the SST program.

In a more serious note, I assume that planes designed to sustain high g-loads (fighter-planes) are built with wings that are excessively large for what is needed for optimum efficiency in level flight?

Pugilistic Animus,

Fineness ratio, is more about the physical cleanness of the wing it concerns boundary layer T/C is the thickness ratio
Fascinating.

Span loading, is the weight divided by the span-a measure of how much load is distributed along the span
Yeah, I got span-loading and aspect-ratio backwards

T/C is the thickness ratio...important when chord changes as in flap deflection
You mean like fowler-flaps?