PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Maun, Botswana. The essential guide.
View Single Post
Old 8th Dec 2010, 08:45
darkroomsource

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd sent them an email and left a phone message some time ago, since their site says it's charter only. They've finally got back to me and want USD 375 per hour for the plane. The next closest is in Everett, which is about 200 miles (320 km) as the crow flies, and it's USD 350/hr, then the next one is more than 800 km away.

I normally rent a 172 for USD 96 wet, and the instructor is 40. I was thinking about getting my flight review in the 206, however I haven't flown in over a year, so it will probably be 2 or 3 hours, plus 1 or 2 ground, or USD 800 at Hillsboro. For that much I can fly 6 hours in the 172 with an instructor and renew my IR as well, and maybe even take a fun trip somewhere.

That was why I was asking if the 206 was more important than being current. And I think the answer I got back was that it would be better for me to be comfortable flying, rather than have 1 or 2 hours in a 206. I certainly can't afford 5 hours at $375 per hour.

I have flown for many years, and have had the occasional hiatus during that time, and I know that I get back in the saddle in about 2 hours of flying. And I'd need probably 3 hours IR to be comfortable again - although I would not want to go to minimums after just that much refresher. I know that the IR isn't important in Maun, but apparently one or two of the operators in Namibia are interested in the IR.

Honestly, if I had the money to do 5 hours in the 206, I think I'd rather do a few more hours in a 310, and finish my MEL instead.

By the way,

Any one there have an update? Are there a "bunch" of pilots expected to leave in January? What about over in Windhoek? I haven't decided whether to go to Maun or Namibia first.... How about the permit situation?