PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 9th Nov 2010, 23:43
barberpol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EK-bound 'fugees: The SIM EVAL reloaded.

Listen, I came here because they were taking in CRJ drivers and I was jonesin' for a bigger shinier airplane. Now I'm leavin. Wit wealh ligeen for hefig magister. Come for the planes. Stay for the chains.

The sim part matters most. Nothing else will stop them hiring you. Your actions in the sim weighs the final outcome: CRM, Crew-Coordination, English Language. The non-flying pilot is the evaluator.

There are 2 T/O's, 2 Apps. First, a Visual Tfc Pattern: Probably your chance to 'feel out' the sim; thrust, trim, clb/crz/dec attitude/speed.

There will be a crosswind component always. Mind your heading. If you've never flown widebody, remember the heading that keeps you on-course during final approach. That'll be it for your ILS too.

During the IFR app the FD guides you in APP mode. Use the MCP- your NFP will set it however you ask.

They don't reveal thrust settings in their pre-eval brief. They suggest 2-eng & 1-eng T/O / APP attitudes as well as engine-out rudder-trim units for climb, level & app. That's all they'll give you besides one photocopy ILS jepp-chart. There's no airport chart or package. They deem it unnecessary as they're keeping the eval short. 20-25 minutes.

FD is the only MCP function you get to use. ASK the NFP to set your MCP HDG, IAS, ALT. Ask for HGD SEL, LVL CHG, VOR LOC, APP and V/S modes. They're available. A/P is unavailable except in lvl flt. More for his sake than yours.

There's no A/T. In the visual circuit, slow to ref+30. Configure to Gr dwn/flaps. Select V/S mode turning base: 900 fpm initially, then 700, 500 on final. Your circuit ht 1500-2000 agl. This part can be discussed with the NFP in your VFR dep briefing. They prefer 2000 agl. At 2000 agl you'll need to time at least 60s from abeam the treshold. That'll get a 4 mile final at 1000. All the MCP modes should be asked for. Doing it yourself will disorient you in an unfamiliar cockpit.

Get your V & Ref speeds from the NFP. He works the FMC- ask, don't touch. Yoke, Thrust levers approach plate is all you handle.

In level-flight the NFP takes control on-request once you're trimmed. Call airspeed, heading, altitude during hand-over. A/P is his discretion.

VFR departure from a runway:
You'll start with a VFR circuit back to departure runway. You might not get touch down. That isn't evaluated. They watch your speed, hdg, alt. It's a gimme if you're switched-on during this exercise.

Sim Reset. Same runway, IMC. No SID / DP. Just a V1 cut to an eng-inop ILS. Now your departure brief will include what to do from V1 to clean-up (FRA-flap retraction altitude).

Engine fails between V1, V2. Rotate, get to V2 400'. Call HDG-SEL. Acc V2+20, ask NFP "Declare Emerg. advise airport rescue (ARFF): Cargo Hazmat, --- souls on board". Accelerate to next flap-command spd. At 1000' call "LVL CHG, Flapzero SPD, Flapzero" accelerate flap-0 Va. Call Engine Failure / Shutdown checks. Call After-T/O checks.

Accept Clearances, Decline instructions. Maintain HDG and ALT till trim and thrust finds your target airspeed (Flapzero maneuvering speed). Transfer control to NFP. You'll acknowledge a clearance to xyz VOR but don't turn yet. Decline instructions. Acknowledge Clearances.It's Your Emergency.

Call ATC: "Emirates --- returning via ILS r/w -- will call when ready for vectors"
Call Flt ATT: "We're turning back. Prepare cabin for emergency landing now."

The NFP may have eased his burden, engaged A/P.

Call SPD, HDG, ALT and Transfer control back to you.

Ask`him "set us direct xyz VOR & select VOR LOC". All you do is fly the plane. Ask him to set ILS freq & minima and get Ref SPD for one engine-inop landing.

Call SPD, HDG, ALT and transfer control to NFP.

Now Brief ILS app, One Engine Inop Go–Around & Missed Procedure. (See Below)

Your sim session ends here. Depends on how well you did so far. It doesn't matter that you know the EK sim profile. It matters how play it out. Your script, Your part. Play it right.

As you see, there is no major emphasis on things like ATIS, NOTAMS, STARS, SIDS, DPs, automation, EFIS use. They observing your ability to fly a target airspeed, altitude and direction manually while coordinating your next move. It's not about the airplane. Its about your able to walk and chew gum in an unfamiliar plane without exceeding airspeed, hdg, alt.

Briefings: You'll brief the following.
1. Departing into VFR circuit.
2. Departing with V1 cut.
3. Flt Att Briefing.
4. ILS/missed app, one-eng inop landing / GA

This is a ___ seat VFR departure r/w _ _, confirm MCP: HDG - - - degrees, SPD V2 plus 20 Kts, ALT 2000', we're cleared VFR, r/w hdg to 2000' for a LH/RH circuit to a full stop landing. FD is functional, Fail Passive. Airborne, I call "HDG" at 400 ft. You call flap-command speeds and I will call flaps. At 1000, I call "LVL-CHG, Flap-0 speed, Set Flap-0". At circuit alt. We will begin configuring to Flap -- Gear Dwn. Time: 60s Downwind-to-Base for 4 to 5-mile final.

This is a ___ seat IFR departure r/w _ _, confirm MCP: HDG - - - degrees, SPD V2 plus 20 Kts, ALT 2000', we're cleared to destination as filed, initially r/w hdg to 2000'. FD is functional, Fail Passive. Airborne, I call "HDG" at 400 ft. we retract flaps as you call flap-speeds. At 1000' I call "LVL-CHG, Flap-0 SPD, Set Flap-0". Except fire warning, abnormalities after V1 on-hold until after T/O checks complete.

"We're turning back. Prepare cabin for emergency landing now."

This is an ILS r/w -- (dubai or ??ever)
Chart --
Date -- -- --
Highest MSA ----
TDZE ---
Loc Freq ---.--
I/B crs ---
cross FAF at ---- feet
DA --- (baro)
r/w lighting: (eg. ALSF-2 /PAPI)

"r/w not sighted then go-around as follows":

"TOGA, GA Thrust/ (GA Flap), Climb GearUp, (GA Flap) ref+5, @400 HGD mode, @1000FlapzeroSPD/ Flapzero, LVL CHG Acc to Flapzero spd, After T/O checks.

"Any Questions?"

"SPD --- HDG --- ALT ---- I have control. Call ATC for Vectors and proceed with NAV setup"

(see above for procedure)

finito. They're just as anxious as you to conclude this dog-and-pony show. (precious sim time).

Curious note: include this in your T/O briefs They want you to mention: ABCD-
A: ATC clearance
B: Brief your action plan.
C: Checklist: (Before T/O Checks).
D: Depart. Confirm clear for T/O.

What it means:
When you're ready to Get the "Clearance" first. Then Brief. Then Call Before T/O checks. Then confirm clear for T/O.

It's Their show, Their music. Hereon-in, you hop to the EK beat. Get used to it.

This is pretty watered down. They don't brief in any adequate or substantial way. Don't embellish. They'll cut you off. This is a stick'n'rudder exercise loaded to see if you topple.

There's no logic in it. EK's so far-gone nobody dares to change anything anymore.

What I've said here is pretty comprehensive. I didn't talk to any of my A330 colleagues to check FD mode terminology. Maybe I'll decipher this to a Airbus version later. Should be comparable. Print and tweak this to where you're comfortable.

Last edited by barberpol; 10th Nov 2010 at 16:31.