PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas A380 uncontained #2 engine failure
Old 5th Nov 2010, 13:59
Raggyman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having some little experience in designing RF systems, I would be rather cautious about installing a receiver immediately adjacent to an engine in extreme environmental conditions, that could be relied upon to operate correctly after sufficient local damage that wired controls had been destroyed.
I am not sure, but would think it would be pretty safe to say there would be some electronics around the engine somewhere. You could put it there. There would be a place it would sit, but that is something that would need to be worked out.

Bearing in mind the consequences of giving such a receiver control of the engine, who or what would be given the authority to switch from the wired to unwired control system in a sudden emergency? Safety critical systems normally require a two-out-of-three agreement.
I think the way it would work (could be way wrong as well, just an idea), is that if for whatever reason the wire control lines were not working, it would automatically kick in the wireless part of the system. i.e it is dead until it knows that the wire control is out of action, OR, there was some other hardware failure or request to kick it in, all over the hard physical way, so that it would not be open to terrorist/nutter threats.