PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Calculating an aircraft's weight
View Single Post
Old 1st Oct 2010, 09:08
Nicholas49

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, thank you for your answers.

So, just to confirm, when I weigh my bag at check-in, its weight is recorded, it is added to the weight of all other checked-in bags for my flight, and the total weight is sent to Dispatch and then on to the Flight Crew who use this data to amend the payload they were given when they reported for duty, if necessary?

On airlines where you pay to check-in bags, do the Operations team just use a standard weight calculated based on the number of people who paid for checked-in luggage when they bought their ticket for that particular flight? Or do they simply use an average for that route/time of day etc.?

In the example I gave above, let's say 150 passengers have checked-in online for their flight. Now let's assume that 50 (I exaggerate for effect) passengers do not show at the airport or miss the flight, meaning that only 100 passengers go to the gate and board the flight. The aircraft will be much lighter. Am I correct in thinking that it is only when boarding cards are checked at the gate and cabin crew do a manual head count that the Flight Crew know for certain how many passengers have boarded? Consequently, these Last-Minute Changes to take-off performance can only be made once passengers are boarding/have boarded the flight?