PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - North Denes Closing
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2010, 17:36
goatface

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure of the exact timeline (although I think it is Dec 10 or New year 11), but it would appear that CHC are moving to Norwich with all the current contracts, they'll be based at the new Saxonair/Klyne hangar complex at Norwich.

There are two aspects to this:

1. The major clients of CHC have been bitching like hell for them to operate from an airport which has full hard runway and navigational facilities with the option of H24 ATC cover in the event of an emergency. Additionally, the vast majority of passengers flying out of Denes, fly to Norwich then have to get the train or a taxi to Gt Yarmouth, in a lot of cases it involves an overnight stay at the passengers expense. To date CHC have always go around this but the clients appear to have said enough is enough.

2. The CAA have been threatening CHC with the closure of N Denes for several years now, the main points being the lack of a hard runway and the integrity of the airfield and it's physical and navigational faclilities (anyone ion the industry doesn't need me to tell you what the latter entails).
CHC won't invest in a hard runway at Denes or the other work due to the high costs and it will be cheaper in the long run to operate from Norwich, it's highly likely that they'll keep the current contracts by doing so.

Earlier this year Bond were advertising for pilots and engineers to be based at Norwich and have signed up for hangerage with Skydrift for the aircraft servicing the Wind Turbine Engineering Contract and any other work that comes up.

Why buy an airfield which is inconvenient to the majority of your client base when you can simply move into a fully equipped one at less expense?

This time I do think it's really happening and N Denes will soon become an exercise yard for the Doggy Track next door.