PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 12th Sep 2010, 10:10
Brit312

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Stilton,

Now you really have upset my Sunday as after many years being retired I have had to go up to my attic to get the Concorde books out so as to answer your question

Anyway as M2dude has said there were drills for everything on Concorde and if I remeber correctly the figure came to 194 seperate drills with 13 of them having a memory content. Never mind remembering the memory content it was hard enough sometimes to remember which drill had a memory content

Anyway I have found the drill for

"Landing with Nose gear not locked down "

To give just the essence of the drill you are asked to

Jettison as much fuel as possible

Set the C of G for landing to 53%--- sitting over main gear

After gear lowered select Standby lever to down position----- This ensures the gear jacks remain pressurized down on touch down

After lowering nose/visor on normal system seltct visor stby system to visor down---- this removes hyds from nose and visor system down jacks, so allowing nose/visor to raise if nose leg collapses

Brake lever to standby ---If nose leg collapse there is no ref anti skid signal and normal brakes would not work. Standby has no anti skid system and will work

Then on landing nose up attitude should be maintained and normal engine reverse selected as soon as possible remembering that engine reverse tries to pitch the aircraft nose up

Wheel brakes use gently and cease at 120kts

At 110 kts reduce attitude to touch nose wheel down gently

At 85 kts select engine reverse to idle power

At rest " Passenger Evacuation"

----------------------------------------------
So you can see this drill uses the nose up effect of engine revese to hold the nose gear off the ground for as long as possible.

I fear this explanation will gemerate more questios than it has answered, but
off for a cup of coffee now as grey cell are hurting

Last edited by Brit312; 12th Sep 2010 at 10:34.