PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 11th Sep 2010, 21:24
ChristiaanJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stilton
Christiaan,
Since you were discussing the scenario of a nosewheel not lowering and that the CG was over the main wheels may I suggest a rather (amusing at least) possibility ?!!
Why not?
Let's admit that being faced with that nasty situation in reality would not have been amusing....
But kicking the idea around a moment, why not? It's what I did seeing the question at first.

With a nose gear jammed up but all other gear lowered normally could the Flight Engineer pump fuel rearward adjusting the CG aft sufficiently to allow the Concorde to settle back on her 'Tailwheel'.
I realise there would be some damage, especially in light of what has been said about the occasional tailwheel contacts but I imagine it would be less than lowering the unprotected forward fuselage onto the runway.
Obviously depends a bit on the fuel remaining, but yes, I think one could have move the CG sufficiently rearward.

Of course some pax might have to move to the back of the cabin too !
LOL, don't you think they'd all would have moved as far back as possible anyway?

If the CG was adjusted this far aft would there be controllability issues ?
Possibly, but not enough that an experienced pilot couldn't handle it, I would think.

There could finally be a use for the 'full down position of the visor' landing in this attitude !
I don't quite follow you there...

One thing that promptly occurred to me for this 'no nose wheel' scenario is braking, since both engine reverse and main gear wheel braking act below the CG, so they'd both act to pull the nose down.
At some point, stick fully back, hence elevons fully up, will no longer be enough to fully counteract that, so you'll have to cancel reverse and braking, and probably commit to an overrun.
Your scenario of doing it as a 'three-pointer' on the tail might wel be the better one !

And while we're at it, what about ditching a Concorde?
It's hinted at in the Safety Cards.
It's been tried lots of times, with models in water tanks.
It wasn't really feasible.......

CJ