PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde engine intake "Thrust"
View Single Post
Old 9th Sep 2010, 23:44
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thrust from the INTAKE????

Hang about - hang about!!! I'm sorry ..... do WHAT??

Look, you must forgive me - I'm not an aero engineer, just a humble MRI/CT scanner engineer and I am having very serious problems understanding this. Okay I understand perfectly that the 593, capable as it is, cannot accept supersonic air.

I further understand approximately that the intake is a prize winning work of engineering genius all on its own and that it is capable of leaching a whole 1000mph from the incoming air, so the 593 can do its thing. I also - just - understand that the aerodynamics of the nozzle does a huge amount of magic to the raw jet exhaust and appears to produce a thrust gain over and above the 593.

So far so good.

I was holding it all on the island because I reasoned that all that air going in has to go somewhere and if it was being slowed down, it must therefore be compressed - like another very powerful front end stage to the compressor. Then, I thought, that the compressor would be compressing compressed air so, although the engine gain would be the same, the result would be dramatically greater. Yes? Or no?

If not, by exactly which mechanism is real thrust being generated and, more importantly, transmitted to the airframe?

I love this aeroplane and since M2Dude, ChristiaanJ, Bellerophon, BS312, Exwok and all the other 'Concorde family' contributors have pitched in so generously, it is really coming alive. But she's damn complicated.

Roger.