PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Serious Gulfstream incident in Kerry Ireland.
Old 31st Aug 2010, 22:18
G-SPOTs Lost

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawker750

Dont tar all operators with a bad brush, I've had the discussion on here many times about alledged AOC safety. AOC's dont make the safety case PILOTS do. Doesn't matter how many ops manuals you have in ops or onboard, a brain fart is a brain fart.

Only recently theres been guidance to inhouse TRE's to ensure LPC's are to take a minimum of 60 minutes, I've witnessed too many once around the tower LPC's and minimum training due to commercial pressure's to have as much faith in AOC safety as you do.

My flightsafety bill could be converted to a lot of jet fuel or indeed a nice bonus.

My FO has just come back from Holiday to the airport we operate from in a 30 year old 737 operated by a loco, piloted by a cadet FO probably the first night landing (a/c was late due to a technical problem) all season, they landed that deep and bounced so badly that my FO reckoned they had to get stopped in 900 metres - some very heavy braking ensued to the point my FO adopted the brace position.....

My point......

You can have as many AOC's with as much oversight as you like, on any given day pilots can screw up just as badly as each other. AOC operators love to think they're safer - the fact is they're as safe on any given day as anybody else. Crew training in corporate AOC companies is not always as good as it could be and people react innappropiately in times of high stress and always will do