PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CMC Flying School-Kenya
View Single Post
Old 30th Aug 2010, 13:42
Foxcotte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ndege

I hope you've taken the advice already given but in case it helps make a final decision here's another view... I'm kind of on the periphery of pilot hiring at Wilson, and we get literally dozens of applications each week from people being churned out by the various flying schools at Wilson. All the candidates are just on the commercial limit of 250 hours - and all have impressive certificates for ratings & standards far above what their 250 hour experience would ever support - such as gas turbine/multi-engine/performance A etc.

Most companies at the starter end of the pilot market would really rather see someone who has genuinely done some serious experience - even if it is only at PPL level. Rather than these production line pilots who have 250 hours of hand-held training and with no single pilot, out the in bush, real-time "having to-make-my-own-decision" type of experience.

Experience shows that most of the pilots being produced lack actual real time experience, knowledge and basic understanding of aviation/aeronautics etc. Being pushed through a regimented training system that only cares about smart shiny uniforms, student fees and numbers does not produce a proper, safe, well-trained pilot. Less paperwork, more experience and more common-sense would be far better.

The only way to get real experience of flying in the real world is to do your training out of this small corner of the world. Learn proper radio calls (instead of the local variations), experience high pressure ATC environments such as in Class B airspace, fly parallel approaches to a 737 or Citation into an airport with more than one ILS, learn what real weather can do to a flight and most of all get proper, professional experience beyond this region. It will make you a far better pilot in the long run, will keep you safe, make you more employable, and be much, much more fun.

Good luck