PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2010, 18:42
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLIPFOPMAN,

Your experience is a lot more recent than mine, though I did photograph the early GR7's, and Wittering were kind enough to invite self and Father ( Dad was no.1 crew chief on Dunsfold Trials Harriers ) last year.

The point is, are the II+ as tired ? some people say there are spare examples in the desert, while others say they're all being used.

I kow acoustic vibration is a major snag - it reduced the under-fuselage pylons for AMRAAM on the then FRS2 to 'warshot only' ( yes bring-back was associated too ).

When Dunsfold Instrumentation Dept. Put microhones etc in dummy missiles on those pylons, they had to look twice to believe the figures recorded !

However I still believe there's plenty of life in the aircraft, and it's difficult to think of an alternative; as I say the F-35 is potentially wonderful, though the price is a bit of a stopper, as is the point that it apparently can't operate from normal decks or concrete, which one would have thought the point of a VSTOL combat aircraft.

That may be anti-Lockheed propagada though.

In the meantime, any alternative other than Harrier looks like shooting oneself in the foot mega-bucks !