PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2010, 15:14
PA-28-180

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok....oK.....OK!!!
I would TRULY like to know if this is REALLY the current state in today's cockpits vis a vis "older vs. younger" pilots??!!!!

Because....if it is.....then my future flights will be range limited to my Archer!

As I previously wrote, when I was flying part 135 and corporate.....ALL my captains were older by at LEAST 10 years, and virtually everytime I flew with them I LEARNED something. So....what the heck is going on "up there" today? When I began flying as a first officer, I was in my late 20's / early 30's.....my captains ranged from early to late 40's. One of the BEST captains I ever flew with was in his late 50's...had a fixed wing and rotary ATP and about 20,000 flight hours....this guy had forgotten more about flying than most EVER know. I realize that at least in SOME cases , cognitive abilities sometimes drop as we age....however, experience and PASSION for the job generally makes up for this. (For those that don't fully read this statement....I wrote SOMETIMES!).

Is todays cockpit REALLY the battle zone depicted by some posters here?? Inquiring minds would REALLY like to KNOW!!