PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2010, 13:22
MTOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst I'm definitely in the camp with lambourne in thinking that at 65, it's time we should give it away, I have to say that if an FO was to carry on with me the way he says he does with the 'old gummers' he flys with, I couldn't (and wouldn't) give a tuppeny you-know-what about his wounded emotions until they - in my opinion - inflicted themselves on flight safety.

Then - on the ground - we'd have a serious talk where I'd offer him the chance to change his ways, and if that did not have the effect I felt it should, the aeroplane would remain at the stand until a replacement FO was found - and FO lambourne would be the one to explain to the Fleet Manager or the psychs at HR why the 'old gummer' turfed him off the flight deck. (In 40+ years in the business, 20+ of which spent in the left seat, I've had one such conversation with an FO.)

lambourne, if it bothers you as much as you say it does, for your own health, you really would be far better off working twenty days a month as 'the man' on a narrow body than six or eight days a month in the right (which for you -in your head at least - is the wrong) seat on a widebody.

Life ain't fair mate, and never has been, and if you can't get your head around that, put yourself somewhere where the unfairness doesn't cause the bile to overflow as your current situation seems to be doing to you. It's unhealthy - for you and for everyone forced to endure your company.