PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 293 Sqn and Sgt J Lewis
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2010, 01:14
QuePee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
293 Sqn and Flight Sgt J Lewis

I have seen many threads on this and other forums depicting old photographs that always seem to generate a degree of interest so I thought I would share some of late fathers pictures

He was part of 284 Sqn stationed at RAF Blida in Algeria, and was selected to be part of the group that broke away to form a new squadron, 293 Sqn. They were equipped with Vickers Warwick primarily but had Walrus, Hurricane (a single example) and various other communication aircraft at various times including an Anson and a single engine US type whose name escapes me at the moment and were engaged in ASR for the Med region.

The copyright for all of these photos rests originally with my father but as he has passed away I guess they are now mine.

Anyway here is a selection;

This Hurricane is one of three that the squadron used in the N African region namely K2736, KW849 or LB660 and was flown almost exclusively by Sgt Pye. The squadron was only permitted one Hurricane at a time so the three mentioned served at different periods and it is not easy to link the photo with any particular serial.....unless someone knows better.

Walrus X9506 resting in the sun at RAF Foggia, Italy in 1945. It carries the squadron code ZE.

Walrus W2719 probably taken at about the same time as the previous picture. Coded ZE-Q.

Warwick BV454 ZE-D after an undercarriage collapse following a night landing at RAF Pomigliano, Italy. The pilot was the aforementioned Sgt Pye.

Principle ASR equipment was the airborne lifeboat. It was used quite extensively but the results were not predictable and many were lost on impact with the sea. Also the locals used to sneak onto the airfield at night and take the emergency rations from the boats and on more than one occassion also stole the engine.

I have quite a few more pictures if anyone is interested including a few visitors to the various bases, Stirling, B25, Beaufighter etc.

Que Pee

Last edited by QuePee; 30th Apr 2013 at 00:28.