PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot Lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 21:42
galaxy flyer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First thing, take a calendar and eliminate the concept of weekends, holidays, etc. Everyday is potentially a workday. Now, divide a month beginning on the 1st into 3 days on, days home, so every 6th day you are headed to the airport and work. If you want to live away from your domicile, add in commuting time. I cannot be more direct--do NOT commute by airline to your domicile--live within driving distance, say a limit of 90 minutes drive. There is absolutely no saying what time of day the trip to the airport begins because the schedule changes each month and you bid on the available sequences based on your seniority. Seniority is like money in the bank, you can spend it as you wish. Want to have a great schedule, bid F/O on small equipment that doesn't pay as well as the LH stuff. Want to be a Captain as soon as possible, suffer thru being on reserve, no schedule.

Frankly, as an earlier poster said, if schedule is you concern, maybe flying is not your game. 35 years ago, when I started, all I wanted to do was fly and had no idea of what schedule would be like, now I still know what next month looks like. I am not airline now, but rather high end corporate.

GF