PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline Pilot Lifestyle
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2010, 09:58
Sygyzy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And if the answer from Galaxy sounds like a breeze those 16 days could well be split into 3 day chunks with 2 days off in between.(So that could take up 25 days of the month with perhaps a couple of longer trips or more time at home) IMHO most companies wil also want much more than 16 days work from you these days. Many now want at least 20 and some 22.

Consider also, is that any worse than 20 days nine to five Monday to Friday, with a commute that leaves you knackered in the evening anyway. And the pay will probably be better flying too.

Getting into the majors is tough these days though and it's hard on the outside. Check on here what sort of lifestyle the poor guys lived who were involved with the Buffalo NY crash about 18 months ago. That was a regional and they lived thousands of miles from base cos they couldn't afford to live closer, particularly the copilot.

You will also need a heap of money to pay for the training. At your age have you thought about the military in some form. They will train you well and pay you whilst training. The skillset is transferable later and the majors know your training quality.

Also, you might never marry. Seems to me to be a long shot that you're gearing up for a family when you should be career driven for at least another ten to fifteen years. I've managed a family life (one wife) with a total career in longhaul flying. I've missed anniveraries, birthdays, christmases, first words and first steps but we've also had great holidays in far flung places that my job provided. I'm sure I've had just as much quality time with my family as the local bank manager or executive who's out the door five days a week at 7am and returns knackered, twelve to fourteen hours later.

If you want to fly go for it and fit the rest in around flying. No doubt I shall be shot down by others, but that's my take on the subject.

S