PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Ambulance in Wales
View Single Post
Old 28th Jul 2002, 11:19
Roundagain

There is a more sensible way of achieving SAR, EMS and Police rotary cover in UK..... IMHO. This would of course mean that all factions put aside their own interests and agree on a new way forward. This would therefore be totally unrealistic.

However........ Imagine if UK military SAR was redeployed as CSAR and SH. (I cannot believe that the UK SH force is not overstretched at the moment). Tenders for civilian operators called for to operate medium helicopters for combined SAR/EMS roles at say 10 bases around UK. These aircraft funded jointly by Government, corporate sponsors and community fundraisers and tasked by Coastguard and Ambulance.

A medium helicopter could operate offshore up to 150 miles. Any longer range SAR tasks could be tasked to CSAR heavy machines. Medium helicopters could easily be tasked to operate EMS and land easily in most places that a light twin presently lands.

In my experience, both UK SAR and EMS helicopters are lightly tasked - combining the two would make economic sense and create a more interesting work environment for crews. This would also help change the current situation where unequipped helicopters arrive at scene unable to safely effect a rescue and provide adequate medical assistance. In my experience most rescue tasks have some medical component.

Police helicopters have a defined role and should not be diverted to SAR or EMS tasks where, beyond acting as a command and control platform, their contribution would be limited.

UK SAR, Police and EMS operations are very highly regarded overseas for their level professionalism, experience and innovation. However, I believe that the tasking of these assets is sadly lacking.