PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 21st May 2010, 07:59
Betty girl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel

Just been listening to Lord Tebbit on 5 Live and he was critical of Mr. Walsh and felt that public opinion was moving towards the union because of Mr. Walsh going to court over a 'nit picking' issue with the vote.

Now, as I said earlier, I voted No. I came to work during the strike and I am so upset with all that is going on but I do feel it has been handled badly by Mr. Walsh. I never thought I would see the time when someone like Lord Tebbit took such a balanced view. It is worth having a listen to him.

I just want some of you to realise that not all crew are in the union. From the start of this over !/3 were not in the union. Now even less are. probably less than half now. Many have left but this actually makes any future vote worse because the vote is for union members only. As people leave and many have the proportion of yes votes go up!! When you leave you no longer get a vote. As I said in my last post the current mandate was taken just after Christmas and this was a time when untrue info was being fed to the media and when boards were being put up all over the company for people to write nasty comments on about crew. Even though I voted No I found it hard listening to the way Mr. Walsh talked about crew and this is what gave such a high vote for a strike.

Many crew who said Yes wish they had not but Mr. Walsh is not allowing a way out of this and that is making everything worse. The mandate the union are using is from way back and as I said earlier, if it was run again it still might be a Yes because so many crew have resigned now from the union.

I really am finding it hard to read some of the vitriol on this sight. It sadens me to hear some of this hatred. I work on eurofleet and I always have a great relationship with all the pilots and I hope none of the ones I fly with hate me the way some of you seen to hate all cabin crew.

I want this to end as much as anyone else and I know how damaging it is but wanting lots of nice and kind but misguided people to loose their jobs is not a good thing to be saying.

People need to step back and see what is really happening. Crew are just worried about their jobs just like everyone else but they have been badly guided by their union. By the way BA actually encourages Union membership on the traning course when people join the company.

We just need both Mr. Walsh and the union to step back abit.

Many thanks for listening. I probably wont post again because some of the postings on this sight are not nice and not helpful either. I am finding it very upsetting to read such hate for crew.