PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways vs. BASSA (Airline Staff Only)
Old 20th May 2010, 22:30
Spanner in the works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am becoming more and more bewildered over this whole affair.

I witness on these boards and speak to many, many crew who are against this strike and don't like the way things have turned out.

Well, the bottom line is that a lot must have voted "yes" in the ballot.
So, what is the position. They voted "yes" but didn't mean it really? Or voted "yes" not realising what this would actually entail?

I suspect the latter and things have snowballed to a position that most of them feel is out of hand.

So, forgetting the "mandate" that BASSA/Unite have, this is still their union.
Surely they could lobby their reps to register dissatisfaction - get a change in policy.
Whatever the legal rights of the unions mandate and what they can do with it, surely they should still listen to their members.

I do sympathise with Crew that have got "caught-up" in all this either innocently or without foresight.

But bottom-line is they voted to go down this line - isn't it up to them to try and halt it?

Maybe I'm being harsh and/or missing something, but those cheering outside court today didn't make me cringe - far from it, they made me seethe with anger because they were basically laughing at the rest of us. Cheering that our attempts to keep the airline running will be challenged once again.