PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Modular V Integrated (Merged) - Look here before starting a new thread!
Old 7th Mar 2010, 00:56
micro_burst

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
benPetrarca:

If you want to start flying for the experience and shear fun of it then I suggest you try gliding. The low cost and social/volunteer side of it will really get you meeting the right people and immerse yourself in the world of flying. Many glider pilots are ex-RAF or airline pilots who can offer a wealth of information and tips, both on the industry and flying itself.

I'm 24 years old and spent 5 years flying gliders in the UK before coming out to do my PPL here on South Island in New Zealand. The experience I gained through gliding has been priceless (literally, we charged most of it to our university's union ), and allowed me to sail through the PPL course with enough time to build up the remaining required hours doing cross-countries around this beautiful country. I'm hoping to take myself all the way to ATPL and the airlines when I return to the UK in summer, but the greatest feeling in the world at the moment is being able to take it one step at a time with enough space to breath and enjoy it too.

Check out the British Gliding Association (BGA) website Welcome to the British Gliding Association, or their junior section Junior Gliding - the most fun you can have in the sky for more information.

Plus i think they do a sponsorship each year for people around your age, so you might be able to do it for free! It really is a beautiful way to fly.